A series of 1800 years ancient Bauddhist caves stands amidst the beautiful landscape near village Khambhalida of Gondal Tehsil in Rajkot District (Gujarat-India). Caves situated at the base of small hillocks, on the bank of a spring flowing across the wast land create a beautiful scenery. Rajkot is one of the four fastest growing cities of Gujarat State (India). Presently, there are three caves in this series. The middle cave is Chaitya Grih. Bauddhist monks must have practiced exhaustive penance in this cave as the mind soothing-peace giving spiritual vibrations can still be experienced in the surrounding atmosphere.
The Bauddhist cave was discovered in the year 1958 by Shri P.P.Pandya, prominent archaeologist of the country who put Saurashtra at an important place in the archaeological history. These caves are protected monuments under the Archaeology Department.
Virpur (Jalaram) is the nearest town from village Khambhalida. Virpur town is situated on N.H.8B between Rajkot and Porbandar cities. After travelling further 2 Kms. From Virpur town toward Porbandar, a road leading to village Kagvad bifurcates from H.H.8B on the left side while travelling from Rajkot to Porbandar. One can reach village Khambhalida after travelling for 5 Kms on this road between N.H.8B and village Kagvad.
The sculpture of Vajjrapani, one of the sculptures of Khambhalida Bauddhist Caves, is the most ancient sculpture of Vajjrapani in India. The second such sculpture of Vajjrapani came into existence 400-500 years thereafter at Cave No.2 of the world famous Ellora(Maharashtra) caves. The second sculpture of Padmpani, contemporary to the sculpture of Khambhalida, exists at Patan, a place in Nepal.
Powered by Crystal Infoway